Re: The Commute From Hell!

As the putrid festering facial boil erupted, tsm1@domain.elided (Tom Mandera)
yelled:

>How about vapor lock, John?
>
>The last time I tuned my 196, it was a fairly cool day, and I warmed it up,
>then let it idle.. and turned everything down (upset about my abysmal 10mpg
>around town... which is what my V8 got).  Now that it's summer and the days
>have warmed up, the idle is *really* choppy... I usually don't trust it to
>idle, and pull the choke out just a tad (still in the "throttle" part and
>not the choke/butterfly) to bump up the idle.

Very doubtful... vapor lock I mean.  It was actually a pretty cool morning.
Come to think of it, I had the heater going!  I had just been doing 60 mph
with engine temp being normal and I had to immediately slow to a crawl due
to traffic.  The engine had no time to heat up when I noticed it was trying
to die.

Howard Pletcher mentioned of list that a bit of water might be a possible
cause... the best suggestion yet to fit the symptoms.  Maybe I need to get
a can of HEAT in there.  I did fill up at a different gas station than I
normally do this past weekend.  Hmmm.

>Was it hotter than usual today?  Did you bump any fuel lines around during
>the NWBRU (even though you didn't do any of the events.... musta been during
>show & shine.  *smile*)?

Just for the record there buddy... my truck was "DISPLAY ONLY" and not part
of show & shine judging.  I had it on display just so *you* could see what
a real IH V8 looks like!

>Am I way off here, or is this your problem?

Nice try, but I'll take water for $2500 and advance to ignition failure
next.

Take care,

John

jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model