Re: The Commute From Hell!

>trusty old Traveler decides it's time to misbehave.  As I close the
>throttle, it basically begins to shudder and die.  I quickly hit the
>throttle and the engine roars back to life.  But because of the restricted

Gee, sounds like the problem I have with my Honda CL350... acts like it
isn't getting fuel one minute.. runs fine the next... I need to clean the
tank out and the filter just for a safe bet... then I was told the fuel
selector switch is a vacuum operated device, and a flakey vacuum line'll do
the same thing... one moment, I'm zipping along with all 350cc... the next,
blah.. it bogs...

Yuck.

Of course, not your problem, mine...

>driveway?  Any one have any ideas?

How about vapor lock, John?

The last time I tuned my 196, it was a fairly cool day, and I warmed it up,
then let it idle.. and turned everything down (upset about my abysmal 10mpg
around town... which is what my V8 got).  Now that it's summer and the days
have warmed up, the idle is *really* choppy... I usually don't trust it to
idle, and pull the choke out just a tad (still in the "throttle" part and
not the choke/butterfly) to bump up the idle.

I mentioned that, after turning the motor off, I can hear a gurgling from
the carb area... which is most likely the fuel boiling in the float bowl.

This isn't a problem at -20... ;-)

Was it hotter than usual today?  Did you bump any fuel lines around during
the NWBRU (even though you didn't do any of the events.... musta been during
show & shine.  *smile*)?

At idle in stopped traffic, underhood temps would be way up... driving the
"back" city streets, you only paused at the stop lights, then revved the
motor as you left the line and proceeded to the next light.  Causing the fan
to spin and cool off the under-hood temps, instead of boiling the fuel in
the line.

Am I way off here, or is this your problem?

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
Offering advice to the masters now...
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs