Re: Travelall Springs?

Scot Clayton  <"bindersc@domain.elided,SmClayton@domain.elided,Clayton.Scot"@domain.elided>
 wrote:

>Just acquired a '69 4x4 TravelAll (345, 4.09, 5 sp OD). What are you guys
>using to lift these beasts? I would like at least 4" lift front
>and rear?

I rearched all the packs on my '74, and added a helper spring.  That
cost about $550, *really* improved the ride (probably most of the improvements
were from the new bushings), but the front main spring broke within
18 months, and the rear springs are now sagging (I do haul very heavy
stuff once in a while, but it shouldn't be that bad).  This is for
a 1/2 ton.

I just had some new front springs manufacturered from a local company:
Rocky Mt Spring.  They claimed to have all the spring info in some
books, and the results are great.  It looks like a good quality job.
They charged around $360 for the front pair, and about an extra $100
to install them.  Their number is: 719-528-8418.

I'd look for set of springs from a 3/4 ton fullsize.  They all seem
about 4" taller, straight from the factory.  Joel Brodsky is running
3/4 ton rear springs, on his 70s Travelall, BTW.

Over a year ago there was somebody on the list who said that they
had lifted a bunch of travelalls, and recommended folks to avoid body
lifts due to the weight of the body.  I might be able to dig up the
original posting.

Ken Farmer
1975 Travelall
1974 Travelall