Jumpin a 6v with 12v

On something that old, turn everything off.  12v will spin that old 6v
starter like a hoover.  Just don't keep it on there too long.  You don't
have any fancy electronics which will die from the 12 v.  Unless you've
installed some.

We built an electric car when I was in college to irritate the EE's.  They
had built one for Engineer's Day and we had built a hovercraft (ME's).  So
to pull their chains we put a 6v starter motor on a go-cart and powered it
with 2 12v batteries in parallel.  It would lay rubber with slicks and me
(225 lbs) driving.  Great fun!  We charged the batteries with an arc
welder.  Charged them pretty fast but you should have seen the foam coming
out of the batts.  They were pretty pooped after that day.  The motor
seemed ok.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776