Re: engine woes

Kurt,

If the engine is misfiring fix that first.  80-110 is not enough
variation to make me think you have some fried valves.  Last time I had
fried valves on a Toyota, it didn't really have any compression at all on
those cylinders.

The old test for whether it is valves or rings is to put a couple
teaspoons of 30 weight oil in each cylinder and see if that brings the
compression up.  If yes it is the rings, if no it is the valves.

80-110 is not as good as a new engine but you're not desperate for a
rebuild either.  My Ford manuals alwasy have you compare the highest to
the lowest.  if the lowest is 80% of the highest, they say everything is
fine.  You're a little short of that but I doubt blown rings, gaskets, or
fried valves.  Probably just normal wear.  I'm guessing to fix it will
take a ring job, or a re-bore & rings.

I'd look for the misfiring before I did anything else.  The first place
I'd look is the ignition. The most likely point of failure in my
experience is the plug wires.  The normal kind of wires are rubber tubes
filled with fibreglass fibers which have been coated/filled with powdered
carbon. All it takes is about two removals from the engine and they are
worthless.  Then do plugs, points, cap rotor.  If the misfiring cylinders
are consistent then it isn't the coil.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776