Carb question

Let me first thank everyone who helped me with my Thermoquad questions.

I went ahead and got an Edelbrock #1406 with the metal gasket to change from
spread to square bore, and bolted it on with no big problems.  The only thing
I've noticed wrong so far is that when I step on the clutch to shift, my rpms
go up to 3000.  It's as though my clutch is acting as an accelerator.  Has
this ever happened to anyone else?  This never happened with my other carb.

Thanks in advance.

Alan