New Lifters

Hey All,

I was flipping through the manual for my Scout and read that they recommend
using kerosene for bleeding the hydraulic lifters.  Has anybody ever done
this and what were the results?

I have new lifters coming today after work.  Does this method get used on
the new ones also?

the manual mentioned that as soon as the engine starts, the kerosene will
be deluted with oil and will wuickly be replaced.  The reason seemed to be
that it was easier for the hydraulic mechanism inside the lifter to
compress when reassembling the valve train.  It sounds like a good idea but
I'm surprised that I never heard anything about this in all my years of
reading different hot rod magazines and hanging with serious gear heads.  I
asked an ex-gear head friend of mine last night about this and he looked at
me like I was crazy or drunk(maybe a little bit of both these days).

Thanks for any help,
John Wynne
76 Scout Terra 196ci