Re: Drum Measurement

**CUT**

>I think the measurement is simply diameter x depth.  12" across, x 1
>3/4" deep.  The exterior depth will be a little more than this, I'm
>assuming, as the pads themselves should be 1 3/4" "wide."  Therefore,
if
>you pop a wheel and measure a drum from the outside and it is 2", I
>would assume that you actually have the 1 3/4" drum, as the steel is
>cast pretty thick.  I would guess that you should plan on the outside
>"depth" of the drum needing to be at least 1/4" thicker than the
>measurement listed.  I cannot get out to measure mine right now, so if
>anyone knows any better, please tell us now.
>I also suggested that he could get all new brakes with new backing
>plates, etc. and switch over to the more common sixed 11" x 2" drums,
or
>even try to do a disc conversion.  Does anyone have any info on this?
>What kind of additional cost are we getting into on this?  This is what
>mechanics have always recommended with mine, but I am anal about trying
>to keep it completely original.
>If anyone knows more about this conversion and its costs, please speak
>up, as I know Gary is hot after this truck and needs the info ASAP!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Michael

Michael & Digesters,

Once again I thank you for all the great information coming in!  I'm
going to get in touch with the owner once again and see what he knows
and if he's done the brakes b-4.  If he has got to the brakes  and knows
all the information that would be cool(I think he is trustworthy).  If
he dosen't have that information I'm just going to go over and pull one
of the front wheels and take a look myself.
 To me keeping the truck completely stock is something I want to strive
for, however I've got to keep it all in perspective.
If the brakes are 12"*1 3/4" I'm hoping that they have enough wear(from
the pedal they felt good, although I know from experience not to trust
that) for me to take my time and hopefully find original parts.  Even if
I do have to convert it I can save the original parts and maybe by the
time the conversion wears out I'll have found the stock parts.
Anyways enough of my own ramblings for now.