Tie Rod Protector

IH'ers:
  There has been some mention of sprung vs unsprung weight recently.
Could someone explain which one is worse, and why?
I have the tie rod protector option, but I have not bolted it on yet.  It is
a substantial piece of steel, which will add 'unsprung' weight, if I
understand the terms properly.  I need to decide if the coolness
factor of having it outweighs the drawbacks of the unsprung weight.
I don't expect to be doing much wheelin' where it would be called int
use to protect the tierod.  But I think it looks good under there.

Allan Weidenheimer (on the road in DC again)
72 1210 Pickup