Transmissions, tops, frames and such

Whew!!! over 1000 posts to go through....

Anyways, here's what's been happening...My 5 speed conversion for the Scout II is continuing unabated.  The required transmission has been purchased (from a old Loadstar, no less) and I am currently making certain all the necessary parts are collected before the swap is made.  I have also obtained the dana 18 transfer case (on hold for the time being) and, hopefully in a few weeks I will make the PLUNGE...

I have decided, after alot of thought, to do this conversion in two stages.  I am going to install the transmission in lieu of the automatic, install the custom transmission support bracket, then have a driveshaft cut and welded to fit to the rear differential. I am going to omit the transfer case for the time being, as the engineering required to fit it properly into the Scout II is going to require alot of work. This will give me some time to fine tune the initial transmission swap and get it working perfectly.
For those of you interested in this kind of thing, it will help to know I am utilizing the hydraulic clutch linkage that the original Loadstar was equipped with.  I am cannibalizing the actual pedal and brackets from my '72 parts Scout.  This should eliminate the massive frustrations associated with the original mechanical or cable linkages.  I am also taking the doghouse cover out of the '72 (it has a 3 speed) and using it for the time being until I am certain where the tranfer case levers will stick out.

Once the transmission is in place, I will be able to determine just how much extra work it will take to put the Dana 18 in place.  Options include a "lowered" t-case mounting bracket,and/or a body lift.  Interestingly enough, the dana 18's offset outputs will help my overall driveline angle front and back, and may give me some room to actually add a bit more lift to the truck!! ...In any case, I can't wait to get it done!!

I promise pictures for you people, by the way...

I will eventually be converting the Scout II to a soft top, either with the original doors, or switching to inserts/ hard doors like an SSII. Either way, I need some way to minimize body movements.  I am thinking about adding some kind of frame reinforcements, or some kind of reinforcement to the body itself to eliminate the "banging" that used to happen with my other scout as the body flexed and "rammed" into the doors at the doorjamb area...

Jason and Maria Colavecchia
1979 IH Scout II,  V304, modifications ongoing
1969 IH 1210D Travelall 3/4 ton, V345,  restoring slowly
1972 IH Scout II, V345, 3 speed, parts only
1975 IH Scout II, Automatic, chain drive TC, parts only