How I Spent My Weekend & Some Hard Lesson's Learned

** High Priority **

Hi All,

Hate to do this, but I haven't seen any IHC traffic at all (no digest, no individual msgs) today, so this is as much a test message as it is a re-post!

BTW, As I told KSOffrdr == I BELIEVE (about 75% sure!) I tried both orientations of the pan.  But it was 105 deg F out Saturday,
and we had been working about 4 hours without any Gatorade! ;-)  It could have been a mirage (Warner Bros style!).  Is there
an absolute orientation of the pan for IHC's (Resoivoir goes in back, ALWAYS on ANYTHING {Scout, T-All, Terra, etc.})?

Thanks!

--Pete

****************   And now for the re-post   ******************   Sorry if this is a duplicate!  ****************

Howdy All,

I'll try to make this short and sweet, and see if anyone can shed some light
on this.

Recently I bought a 345 motor (formerly in a '73 Scout, I believe). The
thought was that this would replace the original 345 motor (1972 1010 T-All)
which suffered a catastrophic death at the hand (and foot) of the previous
owner.

To begin with, I swapped the valve covers from my T-All to the Scout motor
('long fill neck' - previous thread on this subject!).  So far so good. Next,
I installed the T-All mounts, and watched them crumble and dissolve...

Then, after an initial install attempt, I noticed that the Scout oil pan was
different.  The Scout pan appeared to be "camel style" (two humps, sorry! ;-
)). With a section designed to accommodate a front differential, etc. (between
the two humps). Well, "No prob" sez I.  I'll just use my old T-All pan.  No
go!  Not only is the different style pan (and longer pick-up) preventing
proper motor seating in the engine compartment (one of the humps is hitting my
cross member, preventing proper seating/positioning), but also, AND THIS IS
THE "GOOD PART" - *** THE BOLT PATTERN BETWEEN PANS IS DIFFERENT ***, and the
length of pans appears to be significantly different!!  Whooops!  Now what?!
The only suggestion I've heard so far is to try to find someone locally to
fabricate a pan to fit (chop/modify the Scout pan). Does anyone else in the
digest audience have any experience or bright ideas on this?!  I presumed the
bolt pattern would have been the same. Not so.  Looks like I'm in for some
metal fab before it's all said & done! IF this is the route I have to go,
anyone care to wager a guesstimate price of what would be reasonable?  Or is
there another fix, like maybe another pan from a something else (maybe a 4x4
Travelall, or whatever).

Anyone else ever experience this (Y'all probably know better than I do, to
begin with! %^/ ). This little snag prevented final install into the T-all.
:-<

Oh yeah! Anyone know where I can get some T-All motor & tranny mounts, and how much $?
Mine are shot, and this'll be as good a time as any to replace 'em! Would NAPA
still be able to get these?  I'll call in a.m.!

If there's anyone here that'd like to give me a professional estimate for this
work (the pan or mounts!), I'd appreciate hearing from you ("offline" via e-
mail).

Any OTHER issues I might face sticking a Scout motor into a Travelall?  Up
until now, I thought a 345 was a 345 was a 345...

Thanks for the help and letting me cry on your shoulder!

Later,

--Pete

pferris AT_SIGN ionet.net
peter.ferris AT_SIGN wcom.com