Gold box vs. sensor

>From: Kurt McDowell <gmcd@domain.elided>
>Subject: Electrical gremlins
>
>Digesters-
>	Im all ready to try out my new trany, but cant get my Scout to run.
>	My 76 with goldbox  is not making any spark. But, it does have 12 volts at
>the coil. I already tried a new coil. I guess my problem is the gold box
>or the
>distribuer/sensor? I tried reading the service manual but that just
>confused me
>more. It talked about using special tools on most of its tests. Should I
>replace
>the gold box and distributer sensor? Can I even buy these parts? Any
>sugestions
>would be greatly appreciated. TIA.	-Grant

Grant,
In my experience, the gold box is maybe 20 times more likely to fail than
the distributor sensor. Also if you buy a new gold box and then find out
it was the sensor, at least you have a spare gold box which is always a
good idea. There may be a test for the sensor, but I'm not familiar with
it. Both parts are available at most parts houses.
Good luck.
John H.