Dust repelling foam

>Subject: pre- Air filter...uh,..filter
>
>I'm getting ready to take the travelall out to the Burning Man festival in
>Nevada.  It's held on a dry salt lake bed that's covered with a dry,
>dusty, talc-like dust that gets into EVERYTHING!
>
>I remember awhile back a thread on wrapping foam around an air filter when
>driving through high dust areas.
>
>Does anybody remember this?  What kind of foam were they talking about?
>
>Rev. Littlejohn
>Beverly's Spiritual Advisor

Beverly,
I don't remember the post, but they make foam strips that will fit around
the outside of a paper filter. Guys like Bill Thebert with his big, big,
big, chrome filter housing has the foam showing on the outside of the
filter housing, because unlike our factory units, his filter is exposed
to view, and the foam encompasses it. His foam appeared to be about 3/4"
thick and was very impressive. The stuff I've seen for sale was maybe 1/4
inch thick.

In our duning with a sand rail where the filters are exposed to extremes
of sand being thrown up on them, we wrap ladies hose around the air
filter housing and it serves the same purpose, or at least has for the 4
or 5 years that we've use them. I know it sounds strange, but in the dune
world lots and lots of people use the hose on both bikes and buggies.

If I had a well oiled K&N, I'd not worry about it. My Travelall had a K&N
and we endured many a dust storm in our travels. Did I ever tell you
about Owens Lake .............
I no longer use a K&N, because it's so much easier to change the paper
than it is to clean the K&N, but I had supreme faith in them when I was
using them. You probably know that K&N says that the dirtier they get,
the better they clean, they did not say the dirtier they get, the more
air goes through, so I did clean it once in a while.

FWIW
John H.