Flaring tools

>Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 21:56:47 -0400
>From: "Bennett Moe" <bmoe@domain.elided>
>Subject: Brake Lines
>
>OK, guys
>
>In taking my brake lines off, I twisted a few of the ends off to free
>them from the hubs. So now here I sit with two gnarled pieces of brake
>lines. I would just assume fabricate them myself, so my question is:
>where is a good place to get a double flare tool for making these
>buggers? I see tubing benders everywhere, but no flare tools.
>- -Bennett Moe
>'53 R-110

Bennett,
A flaring tool is one of the tools that needs to be well made. Harbor
Freight sells them, but do not buy theirs. John L., the Landryesque one,
inspected Harbor Freights recently, and  bought one from Sears that he
says is well made. I trust Craftsman tools to be usually of very good
quality. I have a New Britain that is quite beautifully made, most parts
houses sell flaring tools made by K D and their tools are very well made,
some parts houses sell other brands and you can visually inspect them to
see if they look well made. In case you don't know it, a double flaring
tool consists of a single flare tool and a bunch of little mandrels that
you insert into the mouth of the tube at one stage in the flaring
process. So you are buying a flaring tool and a little box of mandrels.
John Hofstetter