Trans Aux. Cooler

I put on a B&M aux trans cooler(7x11") last week,  mounted about 1" away from
the radiator.  The stock engine gauge still stays at the left end of the
horizonal line.  The outside temp has been around 100F.  I have only paint on
the floor, the heat on the transmission hump is almost unbearable to touch.
Can't keep my hand on it for very long, might be used as a cooking surface.
Did anyone come up with a good heat shied for this area, I have a 2" body
lift.
I also mounted a power steering cooler. It radiates plenty of hot air.
Scott Ray
'76 Scout