windows/tranny/tucson

Here's a few questions:

1. I've got a '73 Scout II 304 with the 3 spd manual. Last weekend after a
ride over Redington pass my first gear started knocking pretty badly. All
the other gears are ok. I haven't pulled it yet, but what people have said
is that I've chipped a tooth off the cluster gear, which I hear is hard to
find a replacement for. I've been advised to swap in a 4spd -- a stronger,
more reliable (and more repairable) transmission (?). Any thoughts on this?
And when I do pull it out -- either for swap or for repair -- is there
anything I should do when I've got it out? (rear main seal, etc.?)

2. My windows rattle like hell. Any way to tighten them up? New tracks or
something?

3. Anybody know a good IHC mechanic in Tucson?

thanks in advance,

Ian Johnson
Tucson, AZ
ianj@domain.elided