RE: towing a scout

Dan Felix Wrote:

John Townley- are you sure that the bumper you describe is not factory?
My '65 and '66 both have the type of bumper you describe, and the '64 I
am sure doesn't have a factory bumper, as it is a piece of 3-4" tube
welded to the frame.:)  Not that it matters much.  I don't think you
will have any problems towing it, as long as you don't try to take off
_really_ fast with the F**d, and try to keep the "arms" of the tow hitch
(sorry, can't think of what it is called!) close to the frame, so you
don't do any serious bending damage to the bumper.  If you want, I can
try to take the bumper off of the '65 for you to use.  It is already
bent in, so you are more than welcome to try to bend it back.:)
<

Dan,

Thanks for the response....

Take a look at a picture on Chuck Bridgman's webpage:

		www.infinet.com/~tdcbridg/summer.html

AFAIK, that is what the "stock" front bumper looks like on the
Scout 80. Mine is just a peice of "c iron" that is bolted on.
If you look at it from the end, it looks like this ---->   ]
there are no fancy curves in it or anything, and it is straight
the whole length (i.e. does not curve around at the ends). If I
ever get that film in my camera devloped, I will send you some
pictures of it...

I think with the custom brackets that I am having fabbed up, the
thing will be PLENTY robust to support the tow bar. (actually I
believe it would have been plenty strong without the brackets,
but I like to over-due things safety wise).... I have since realized
(through the help of the digest) that the Scout weighs only about
3500 pounds, not 4700. The 4700 is the GVW. 3500 pounds is not much
more than my boat weighs, and I have towed that many many times over
the years with no problems (except 1 flat tire on the trailer in
the middle of the dessert)....

Anyway thanks for your help,

John