Re: In the eye of the beholder

>With all this talk about distributors, can I go to the junk yard and get
>any IH prestolight electronic dist out of a 345 or 392 and use it as a
>spare for my 345. I have the same kind now. Also why is the mallory
>electronic better than the IH?

Mike,
The Mallory Unilite has a rotating disk with an apron hanging down that
is right under the rotor. It has 8 slits in it for an 8 cylinder engine.
A light goes through the slit triggering the spark. Very simple, yet
complex. The Mallory comes with parts to change the centrifugal advance,
it has a very high voltage resistant cap and rotor and on and on. It is
beautifully made.  Whether any of these items make it a better
distributor is in the mind of the beholder. Some of us think it does.
That reminds me, I have to get a spare cap and rotor, because they for
sure won't have it in Trona.
Philosophical question: Does Trona's two chemical plants make it a better
town than Murphys which has none? Guess if I needed a job badly enough
I'd think so. (Murphys, CA is my home town except for a month in the
Spring when Trona is where my gas and fast food is)

Mike, I think the answer to your other question is yes any IHC Prestolite
electronic should work.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Founder of DARK  "DRIVERS AGAINST RIDICULOUS KRAP"
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"