Re: Step backward

>Harvesters,
>I am about to switch a 67 amp. alternator from a 77 Terra into my
>77SS II (which has a 32? amp. alt.). The 67 amp. alt. has one pully, the =
>old alt. has two. It looks like a bear to get the pulleys off, so my plan =
>(unless you stop me) is to go with the single belt pulley. This will free =
>up a pully on my crank so someday I can put more junk under the hood. =
>Thinking about adding a belt drive grain mill, or a meat grinder (handy =
>come hunting season), or a belt driven blender..........;-)
>Any way, whats the vote. one pulley or two?
>
>Willy (with way more pulleys than Tom M) Cunningham

Willy,
I'm not going to get in a horsepower battle like the one raging on the
digest lately, but I can assure you that the 67 amp takes substantially
more power to turn at full charge than the  32 or whatever it was. The
point: You can really use the two pulley system. Be glad you've got it.
By the way, buy matched pairs of belts for it when you get the two groove
pulley on the alternator. I've changed pulleys a bunch of times and don't
remember it ever being much of a problem. Even a dummy at Chief changed
it once and if he can do it .......

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Founder of DARK  "DRIVERS AGAINST RIDICULOUS KRAP"
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"