Re: Starting woes

>	OK, here's what I did:  I went down to Radio Shack, got some 14
>gauge wire and a "momentary on" button.  I ran a wire from the + terminal
>of the battery to the switch, then to the starter solenoid.  I cleaned the
>post on the solenoid meticulously, even filing the nuts a bit so there is
>a nice, shiny metal contact.  No go.  Key and button have the same effect:
>radio goes off and absolutely nothing else happens.  Does this mean that
>the problem lies in the solenoid?  I have headers and I was told once that
>the heat from the headers could be detremental to the solenoid function.
>If it is the solenoid, how easy is that to remove and install?  How much
>should I expect to pay?  How can I prevent the same problem from happening
>again?  Help me make my Scout live again... ;)
>
>				DurangoMan
In my opinion, a rebuilt starter is not going to cost you much more than
a new solenoid and is going to include a new solenoid. Get a lifetime
warranty, have them test it in the store if they will, and put the thing
in as a unit. The heat shield that fastens to the manifold is very
important in preventing solenoid overheating. The fact that your radio
goes dead means one of several things. Bad battery, bad cable, bad
solenoid, or bad starter. When a starter has its armature drag on the
field coils, the current drain is phenomenal and still doesn't turn over.
A bad disc inside the solenoid can also cause a similar problem. A high
resistance problem anywhere in the system causes more current drain, not
less. I would hope that you can get a lifetime warranty rebuilt starter
for under $50 and before our friends on the digest beat me to it, modern
rebuilts are often very poorly done and that's why you need to have it
tested before you leave the store, if you can. That test isn't under a
load (I don't think) but at least if it spins, you've got a fair start.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Founder of DARK  "DRIVERS AGAINST RIDICULOUS KRAP"
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"