Re: Identify Scout 80

Jim Coyle wrote:
"Oh another note, a couple questions.  How can a person determine what
Year/size engine a Scout is?  I have the chance to buy a 60's model Scout
80?  The guy doesn't know what year, or what size engine it has, but i
thought it sounded like about a '65.  I am going to get up there this week
or next to look at it and wanted some pointers.  What were the stock
engines for that year (or years?)  How can one look at the body and know
what year?  Barring the existence of any identifying Sticker on the door
panel like mine  has, can you guru's help me?  Thanks.  I was thinking of
things like, the fold-down windshield, perhaps arrangement of things in the
engine compartment ( I have dealt solely with the 345 and have no clue on
smaller engines)"

You can determine the year a Scout 80 was built by checking the serial
number. The last digit indicates year. (eg. -4 would indicate 1964). The
buyers' original Bill of Sale determined model year since IHC trucks were
not manufactured on a yearly model basis. 1964 was the last year that they
came with a fold-down windshield. From 1961 to 1964 the only engine offered
was the 4-152 "Comanche". In 1965 (production year) the Scout became the
800. In '65 you could get a turbo option on the 4-152 "Comanche III". In
mid 1966 the V-266 eight cylinder and 4-196 were introduced. In 1967 the
serial number consisted of 13 symbols. The turbo option on the 152 was
dropped in 1968. In 1969 the 800A was introduced and came with the 4-196 or
with an optional V-304. These were the only engines available. In 1971 the
800B was made and the PT-6-232 six-cylinder might have been available (am
not sure on this). '71 saw the introduction of the Scout II.

Hope this helps,

Cam Dingwall