Re: Towing a Scout ---- Questions

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 08:42:46 -0800, you wrote:

>Fellow Harvesters,
>
>In the not to distant future, I will be towing my Scout out
>to Arizona, where it will live at our other home. This is
>a 65 Scout Model 80, which weighs 4700 pounds according to
>the tag. My plans are to flat tow it, with the drive shafts
>removed. I will be towing it 182 miles, at elevations from
>sea level to 4200 feet and back. I have purchased a tow bar
>rated at 5000 pounds. This is the type of tow bar that has
>2 brackets that mount onto the front bumper, and the actual
>tow bar connects to these brackets with a pin on each side.
>The tow bar connects to a 2 inch ball. The tow vehicle will
>be a F**d Exploder with a weight distributing hitch, and
>factory tow package.

First I will state that I have very little experience towing, and have
never towed a Scout.

The 4700 pounds is the GVW, thats the max safe weight of the truck
plus all the crap (including driver) that you put into it.  So if the
truck is empty it should weigh much less.  My standard catalog of
4X4's lists the shipping weight at between 3000 and 3500 pounds
depending on the type of top and motor.

Also the weight distributing part of the hitch will be useless because
there is no tongue weight to distribute.

Nick Leiterman
Kent, Washington
nickl@domain.elided