Steve's Starters

Steve,
I don't really know if this will help much, but I too had to replace my
starter in my '76 Scout II, 345v8.  Long story short, the trust old rig
decided to stop running one afternoon(found out later, after grinding the
damn starter down to nothing, that it was only running on 4 cylinders not
8, reason??? Unknown but fixed now.)  I went to my truely trusty Schuck's
Auto Parts Store (there, that is my $.02 on the Parts Store) and got me a
rebuilt Delco Starter.  It has lasted since December of 96, and that says a
lot so far, my Scout has an tendency not to want to start with a single
click of the starter.  If I remember correctly, it was just around the
price range you mentioned(with core charge of course)  I would look into
them if I were you, I didn't like changing my starter one time, and
wouldn't do it 4 times in less then 3 years.  What a pain!  Hope this helps
out...nothing more then a plug (Is this where I say that I have no
affiliation with Delco???)

Oh another note, a couple questions.  How can a person determine what
Year/size engine a Scout is?  I have the chance to buy a 60's model Scout
80?  The guy doesn't know what year, or what size engine it has, but i
thought it sounded like about a '65.  I am going to get up there this week
or next to look at it and wanted some pointers.  What were the stock
engines for that year (or years?)  How can one look at the body and know
what year?  Barring the existence of any identifying Sticker on the door
panel like mine  has, can you guru's help me?  Thanks.  I was thinking of
things like, the fold-down windshield, perhaps arrangement of things in the
engine compartment ( I have dealt solely with the 345 and have no clue on
smaller engines)

TIA,

Jim Coyle
'76 Scout II, 345v8 tf727
Turning heads and getting offers!
Some people are hard up for Scouts!

P.S.  Regarding Sig files:

I thought it was simply supposed to say, "Scout (or
International)...Anything else is just LESS."