Re: Distributors

Ken,

  The HEI is considered a fairly reliable ignition. Often times a module
will fail because not enough dielectric lubricant is put on he bottom of
the module. Notice how most electronic ignition modules have a heat sink.
The HEI doesn't have the heat sink, it just transfers the heat to the
distributor. The lubricant helps with heat transfer.

  You also need to put dielectric lubricant on the seal under the coil. I
believe this is just to help seal the distributor.

  Another common problem is that the mechanical advance will rust and
become frozen in place.

  One last thing is to make sure you have the correct ignition wires for
the HEI. Old wires intended for points are not designed to withstand the
higher voltage.

  The HEI modules can be found at any parts store. Good luck finding parts
for a Mallory if you're off the beaten track. The HEI modules are also easy
to replace. If you decide to use the MSD with the HEI remove the GM module
from the distributor. The MSD can trigger directly from the pickup coil
inside the HEI. I would use quick disconnects on the wires. That way if the
MSD burns up you can easily reinstall the HEI module and be back on your way.

  Overall, there are no significant advantages one way or another between a
HEI distributor and a Mallory distributor. The performance improvement is
provided by the electronic ignition module, not the distributor. There is a
definite improvement in performance when replacing the HEI module with a
MSD6.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs, CO
1980 Scout, 304, T19 close, dana 300