Re: Mallory Distributors

Harvesters one and all, at least some of you, or maybe even one of you,

I just got off the phone with Mallory and here is the scoop on
standardization of the shaft on Mallory distributors where the drive gear
goes on.

There isn't any. He said that one of the biggest problems that they've
had with their distributors for IHC vehicles is that until you put a
micrometer on the shaft, you won't know what size you may have gotten.
Typically, they have you send them the gear and the distributor and they
make them match. Also often done is what I did, my own machining on the
gear. Apparently, the shaft is always big enough for the gear, but it'
really only an accident if it fits.
If one were ordering a Mallory after having his own distributor out, I
would think that you could give Summit or whomever the shaft size and
that Mallory would machine the shaft to fit before it was sent out. Only
supposing that, guys, and sometimes I'm a little naive.
By the way, the price was kind of staggering, but my Unilite looks and
acts like its going to be a wonderful distributor.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Founder of DARK  "DRIVERS AGAINST RIDICULOUS KRAP"
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"