Misc emissions stuff

First off: somebody said the other day that retro-fitting catalytic
converters can cause fires.  Why?  Also, on the subject of cats, I've
got dual exhausts with dual cats on my 1980 Scout II (running a 1975
304).  These are a very high-flow design that had no real noticable
affect on performance.  Also, this vehicle could easily pass 1998 smog
tailpipe standards.

As far as putting all the equipment stuff on the faq, I've got that
started:  I've gone through two smog industry manuals and compiled
the info into a tabular format.  Unfortunately, the data between the
manuals isn't 100% consistent - and I really don't want to misinform
somebody here.  But, given the request, I'll go ahead and wrap it up
and perhaps some other folks will be able to address the suspect info.

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II
1974 Travelall