The well-stocked IH

Hey,

While recently reading about a family in their dodge power wagon who
ended up unexpectantly in a off-road trip from hell, I started
wondering about what every well-prepared IH should have.  Then my wife
my the mistake of encouraging me with comments like, "how could we
make sure that didn't happen to us?".  A few of these items came from
a list that I read put together by some jeep-folks, some are common
sense, some are from my personal experiences of getting stuck.  Any
other suggestions?

Anyway...

The Key:
A   = always in vehicle
D   = day trip of camping, off-roading
W   = week trip of camping, off-roading

SAFETY

A   - 1st aid kit
A   - fire extinguisher
A   - 2 flares
A   - 1 gal of water
A   - blanket (there are some really compact emergency blankets that
      only cost a few bucks, and fold up small enough to fit into
      your pocket.  However, they aren't as warm as a heavy blanket.
      Here in Colo, I also keep a thick wool military blanket)
A   - 2 candles (use for heat in case you are stranded)
A   - 4 packaged granola bars
A   - lighter
W   - more water jugs
W   - water purification pellets, perhaps pump

MISC

A   - flash light with fresh batteries
A   - toilet paper in zip lock bag
A   - local maps in zip lock bag
A   - folding shovel
A   - high-lift jack
A   - 1 sq. ft. 3/4" plywood jack base
A   - tow strap
A   - gloves
A   - paper towels in plastic bag
A   - clean rags
A   - spare hidden key (especially if you've got stiff locks)
A   - hidden money
D   - snatch block, come-along, or even better, a winch, chain w/hooks,
W   - comm unit (cb radio or cell phone)
W   - bungee cords
W   - bag of plastic tie wraps* (6"-18")
W   - snakelight or headlamp with fresh batteries
W   - tube hand cleaner
W   - more toilet paper in zip lock bag
W   - binoculars
W   - supply of nuts, bolts, washers
W   - 20' of rope
D   - boots, change of clothes

REPAIR

A   - tire pressure gauge
A   - swiss army knife or leatherman tool
A   - "X" lug wrench
A   - small & medium adjustable wrenches, medium pliers, needle nose
      pliers
A   - fuses
A   - good long jumper cables
A   - good slot & phillips screw drivers
A   - tape (plumbers, electrical, duct)
A   - electrical wire, connectors (various)
A   - misc hose clamps
A   - can of fix-a-flat (beats the heck out of fixing a flat on the
      side of the highway with busy traffic & poor visibility)
D   - fuel filter
W   - spare belts & hose
W   - a few selected sockets, 3/8" to 1/2" & 1/2" to 3/8" adapters, ratchet
W   - more screwdrivers, some box/open end wrenches
W   - power steering fluid
W   - large tire repair kit
W   - coat hangers
W   - spare gold box, distributor cap and rotor
W   - fluids: anti-freeze, brake fluid, stop leak, ps, brake
W   - lubricants: motor oil (5 qrts), silicon spray

I'm not a mechanic, so I left off u-joints, driveshafts, etc.

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II
1974 Travelall