Dana 20 woes!

I'm currently having problems posting to the digest so if you see this several
times, my apologies! I have a dana 20 T-case causing me grief! Its a dual
stick transfer case and will not move into 4low. I can get 4hi but the middle
stick will not move to the low position so the front axle stick can be moved
to low. I can't even get nuetral on the middle stick, I get about an eighth of
an inch of movement and when I hammer on the end of the shift rod it feels
solid. I removed the detent ball and spring with no results. I removed the
lower cover and tried prying the gear into place thinking it may have been
frozen but as such was not the case. My question is will the interlock which
is referenced by the original Motor Service Manual to float between the shift
rods cause the middle stick tl lock in the HI position allowing only 2hi and
4hi? Is it possible to remove the interlock and achieve 2low? Any responses
would be welcomed.

Jay T.
66 Scout 800, 302 F**D, T18/D20