blow your self up

 I would like to go with a gas
less
     setup (flux wire?) as the gas bottles freak my wife out. ("You're
     gonna blow up the house!!!")
>It's  pretty hard to blow your self up with inert gas (argon/co2 mix)..
Probably easier to get shocked.

You didn't say if it was a lincoln or the chicago electric.?  Remember
wire speed = current and voltage can be turned down for light sheet
metal.

When I was in votec Mig class
I've used the small lincoln and compaired it to the holbart handler.
Liked the weld of the lincoln, I think it is a switcher, higher ripple
frequency?  My friend has the holbart and seems to like it.

I've ended up with a Miller XMT 200, with external wire feed unit.   I
can switch over to TIG mode which is nice for small delciate projects.
It was expensive and obsolite now, but the price was right  because the
power supply was blown up.  I must say miller stands behind there
products, it was 5 years out of warrentee and I convinced them it blew
because of a re-worked production jumper.  They provided all the parts
to repair it for free.