Re: Battery mgrs.

>Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:36:22 -0800 (PST)
>From: Allan Weidenheimer <allanw@domain.elided>
>Subject: Battery Mfrs
>
>O.K. guys (and gals?) who is the 'other'
>battery manufacturer?  Please educate me!
>
>Allan Weidenheimer
>72 1210 Pickup

Allan,
That's GNB, not GMB as my foggy memory thought. In the last couple of
hours I've looked at Exides web site which has a very interesting Q and A
section. Exide obviously makes their own batteries and are promoting them
through very strong NASCAR endorsement.

Then I talked to the local Sears owner and he tells me that Exide makes
their regular line DieHard batteries, but didn't until fairly recently.
The 1995 Consumers Reports states that DieHard batteries that they were
testing then were about to be replaced by ones of a different
manufacturer. Sear's  DieHard Goldline batteries are made for them by
Delco,but some Sears dealers don't stock that line, but I didn't ask if
that was because of cost.  I had noticed that Exide and DieHard had
seemed to be competing against themselves in NASCAR racing advertising,
but if what he told me is true, then this is not really a conflict.

Looking at the list of recommended batteries in the Oct. 1997 Consumers
Reports, Exide and Johnson-made batteries share the top ratings with some
Delco models. Over the years, I've formed a real distaste for Delco
batteries, but most, if not all of my experience was with supposed deep
cycle batteries. Johnson-made Motorcraft Silver Series made the top of
the list in the group size for which they market a battery. Walmart's
Johnson-made battery scored almost as high and costs just a shade more
than half as mucn. Eveready batteries made by Johnson scored well, in
fact the best in some categories, but were downrated because of "poorer"
warranties. On the other hand, they were the cheapest batteries tested by
Consumers (about half of any other battery except for Walmarts)

Now that's an interesting problem. ls it better to pay half as much for a
36 month battery, or twice that amount for a 72 month battery that tests
out as less of a battery? I'm not sure that it deserves to be downgraded
for its shorter warranty considering its lower price. I could change my
battery every three years for $35 bucks if I thought I was getting a new
good battery for that price.

John Hofstetter
"Used to be a wencher, but is now a wincher"  Not true, but it just came
to me as I was thinking about batteries and winches and I liked its sound.