Starters, and Neanderthals

Luke,

     From this last explanation, it sounds like you may have a dirty starter
commutator, or a bad field, or armature.  The fact that the lights dim, mean
that there is a significant draw due to a high current portion of the circuit.
Ohm's law says that if there's a high current, the resistance must be low,
because the voltage is constant.  Well, I think there is a short accross some of
the commutator points, dirty brushes, etc, but it sounds like it might be in the
starter as opposed to the electrical.  The last test you should try to do (I
know the T'all starter is kinda easy to get to) is to take the jumper cables
from another battery and hook them directly to the starter and see what you get.
 If it cranks ok, then bad cables or bad electrics inside the truck.  If it
doesn't crank, Bingo!  Pull it, clean it, and throw it back in.  Should be ready
to go.

Hmm, reading that last line I realize there is some innuendo in that.  None
intended.

Good luck,

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.