Re: Bats & springs

>John L. and others have posted some very good information about >batteries
but I don't recall any mention of the Optima/Predator type. I have

I think I saw something about the Optimas at some point.. or was it some new
Excide or something, but basically the same thing as the Optima.

The benefits were the ability to mount it anywhere.. Dan Youngquist was
thinking of mounting a few under the bed of his Terra to offset the GM 6.2L
Diesel up front.  They're sealed, so you can submerse them.

FWIW, there's room under the hood for an extra battery.. on my '77 196.

On my '72 w/ 304, I have an evaporative recovery (charcoal) cannister taking
up my extra battery spot.  Can this be safely removed?

Anyhow, remove the stock jack (who uses there's anymore?) and then move the
windshield washer bottle (if you have AC) forward to just behind the
headlights.  When you're done, you can take some angle stock and fit another
full size Group 24 battery between the heater core and the (relocated)
washer bottle on the passenger fender ledge.

Keep both batteries!

>Con: high price, slow to recharge.

I didn't know they were slow to recharge... ?
>Am I missing anything here?

Not that I know of.. but run two.  Why not?

>Tom's bouncy springs: If you want to take some of the "bounce" out of the
front end just hang about 200 lb. of winch and bumper out front, worked for me.

Wow Willy, that sounds EXACTLY like what *I* was thinking!  Add a winch, a
larger bumper, and maybe a V8 to the front end, and that should smooth
things out nicely! :-)

I'm thinking of purchasing one of those $400 Ramsey REP8000s in the
not-so-far-off-future (after I pay for the Softride kit).  It's not my winch
of choice (Permament magnet, only 8000lbs) but at the price...

I figured I can afford to buy a "cheap" Ramsey to drop on the front of the
'77 ("Julie's" Scout), and then when I finish the '72, buy a 9000lbs
Superwinch or Warn for the "heavy duty" puller..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 Scout II - home at last
'77 Scout II - 4", 31s, 4.09s, 196, 3spd, track-lok, air, KCs, more to come...