Re: brake bleeder

The black helicopters hovering over the house recorded SLarsonIH@domain.elided
whispering:

>Sorry for the misinformation. I checked with my Bendix brake manual, and in
>fact, the larger reservoir is for the disk brakes. To quote: "The larger
>reservoir is connected to the disc brakes to provide the greater fluid reserve
>required for disc brakes".

This is because the drum brakes have mechanical linkage which takes up the
slack as the brake pads wear (the adjuster which is activated when applying
the brakes in reverse).  The volume of brake fluid in the drum brake wheel
cylinders remains constant (assuming the adjuster is properly working).

The disc brakes, on the other hand, have no such adjuster to compensate for
the brake pad wear.  The caliper pistons must move farther out of their
bores as the pad thickness decreases.  This creates the need for increasing
amounts of fluid as the pads wear... hence the need for a larger reservoir.

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)