Re: ihc-digest V5 #202

>I just had a thought.  I was going to make new shakle plates for my truck and
>an idea just came to me.  What if I made an exact replacement plate but,
>instead of a hole which elongates over time, I somehow designed a roller
>bearing for the shackle bolt to ride against?  Wierd, but any ideas?
>
>Gary

Gary,
When I made new shackles, I made them out of heavier tool steel, which
was easier, and I think will eliminate the problem for considerable time.
Also I eliminated the anti-sway bar, which Howard explained to me was not
a tie rod protector as I thought it was and welded cross plates to
connect the two shackles and I think this combination has helped
eliminate the elongation of the holes. I see after market shackles for
sale with the shackles joined in this way, so the idea was far from
original. By the way Howard, it probably protected the tie rods about as
well as it eliminates sway (grin)
Talk about elongated holes, how about the holes in the anti-sway bar?
John Hofstetter

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"