PLEASE HELP ME (Electrical problems)

        SOME-ONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!   My problem has been going on for too
long. I've got a '69 1200 4x4 IH truck.  Recently after replacing the
alternator my lights started to flicker. (Headlights, dashlights, &
tailights). Also, the alt. gauge kinda bounces around. So I replaced the
voltage regulater. then replaced the headlight switch, the dimmer switch,
cleaned the bulkhead connecters, crimped new fittings on my alternator
wires, cleaned ground wires, etc.
  I still have the problem. So today I got a new voltage regulater &
alternator (AGAIN). I still have the problem.  If the truck is not running
the lights are fine. If the truck is running and I disconnect the power wire
to the alternator I have no charge, but all the lights work fine. No eratic
surges on the alt gauge. Also, if the truck is running and I disconnect the
voltage regulater it works fine, no charge however. So I'm  thinking the
problem has to be in that "line" somehow. Is that right???  Also, there is a
kind of silver box type regulater that the voltage regulater has a wire
running to. Does anyone know what that is???  I guess I just don't know what
else to do.  I checked the alternator with an ohm meter. It was kind of high
at times. Usually 14.7-14.9 but ocasionally going up 15.2  This was taken
from the power stud on the alternator to the negative on the battery.
Sorry to "cry", but I miss driving my IH !!!
  Thanks for the help.
Andrew Thomas

               lynx@domain.elided