Shackle bolts/Brake boosters/Alternators/Eldon...sorry...

Just thought that I'd apply my .02 worth.

I wouldn't use Nylock nuts for the shackle bolts for the reasons mentioned.  I
don't like the idea of a nut backing off on something as fundamentaly
important as a suspension component.  I found the original type of all steel
locking nuts to fit the proper grade 8 bolts I found.  This nut is a fine
thread, "compressed end" type of locking nut.  I think that it's designed for
only one application (not remove and reinstall at will...) but, so far in the
past year, hasn't even thought about coming loose.  I installed a grade 8 flat
washer under it, against the shackle, just as a bearing surface.  I only
tightened the bolts enough with the urethane bushings so that I could still
turn the bolts in the sleeves with a wrench while the truck was sitting on the
ground.

There was quite a bit of talk about brake boosters.  I have a 1980 Scout II
and a spare brake booster.  I took it to a local brake rebuilder who quoted me
a price of around $75.00 to rebuild.  He then pulled a brand new one off the
shelf, which looked exactly like mine except for the pushrod type (easily
swapped), and said that I could buy it for about $90.00.  Why rebuild my
spare?  It seems to be a common type of booster.  I can't believe that some
people have gotten price quotes which are so much higher....

This is for Eldon (and anyone else who is interested)...
Sorry for not replying about the diesel alternators; I thought that I had but
I realized that I never sent it.  Oops...

I recently rebuilt my Hitachi alternator and was able to convert two spares I
had to a one wire (I kept two others stock).  Some of you may remember my
problem of a "vibrating" ammeter last year sometime.  Apparently the problem
was in the wiring between the alternator and ammeter.  My alternator is now
putting out a little over 50amps (stock is 37a) and it's now smooth.  All that
I did was to shot blast the cases, replace bearings, reseal stator, replace
rectifier, brushes and oil seal and used two different internal regulator type
devices.  I also turned the slip rings on a lathe to clean them up.  I used
better than OEM aftermarket parts which I think accounts for the output
upgrade.  You're not going to believe what what I sold two of them for...  New
ones from JESCO are well over $450.00; outrageous for an archaic design
alternator.  My other option was to use a common diesel alternator (still
Hitachi) that would fit various years of Chevy Luv.  I would have had to
change the pulley, and/or shim the mount, but I could have purchased the
alternator new from my local auto supply for $169.00.  Still high compared to
Delco, but not bad....

I am considering rebuilding alternators for diesel Scouters on the side.  I
have access to a fully equipped alternator shop.  The owner is a friend of
mine (no, he didn't rebuild my alternator-he did let me use his equiment,
though) who will let me use his shop.  Let me know if anyone is interested and
I'll see if I can work something out.

Gary
1980 Scout II turbo diesel   No rust
Spare 1980 Scout II turbo diesel   No metal...
Mini warehouse full of parts....
:)