batt'ry, towin', Rear end's goin'

>From: jmbrodsky@domain.elided
>My guess is that if the
>technology has been around for that long, not much is gonna
>happen is 25yrs.  Have batteries changed all that much since say,
>1960?  The lead acid cell seems like there isn't much room for
>improvement.
>     -Joel Brodsky

I recall a thread on Electric vehicles which dipped into battery tech, hmm,
anyone remember?;)
You're right about lead acid, but there are other techs out there all be it,
 expensive.  NiH comes to mind.
IIRC, Amp/hour or KwH ratings are the way to go, not just shear CCA,
especially for winching or one of those on board welders, or runnig the
radio loud out in the woods taking a brake from wheelin'.;)

	Here's my $.02 on towing, from experience, I towed a 4500lb
trailer(empty) + 1000lb Solar Car + approx 1000 lbs of tools and acc. with
my Terra, and I thought I was gonna die.  I learned out of neccesity and a
will to live that if I pushed the brake enough to trigger the trailer
brakes and gave her a little gas a could straighten and dampen the swaying.
 The swaying was pretty extreme a coulple of times, and no thanks to the
slack in the sterring not helping things.  Then the front brake line (from
mc to prop valve) broke at the flare, not sure if from vibes or over
working it.  stopped it by down shifting and trailer brakes, good thing I
found out before I was going into an off ramp, yikes!  Pulled it, refalred
it, and bled it interstate side.  I towed the same rig from mass to
Idanapolis, IN with a 14ft Uhaul dauly chev 454 1ton with no problems.  In
extreme contrast, the Terra towed beautifully with a 500lb sled on the flat
bed, and two 500lb sled on a trailer behind it, didnt down shift once going
up 91n into VT.
	I have to agree that the rule of thumb is not to exceed the gvw of the
tow vehicle with anything in tow!  It could ruin your day, BAD!!!!!

	Quick question, starting to here rear end axle bearings, doh!  Anybody
every rebuild a rear end of a D44?  Part #'s, $$$$???  Might do R&P 3.73s /
locker swap too while I'm in.;)
Thanks for listening;)
Layda,
Tark '77 Terra 345/T19/D20