Re: Shocks & Gold Box

>Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided> wrote:
>
>>The bouncy ride on the '77 has pretty much cinched my decision to run
>>double shocks on the '72.. should keep those bounces to a minimum..
>
>Won't that make it a very stiff ride?

Maybe.  Depends on the type of shocks.  (Disclaimer: I'm no expert!)

If I use TWO soft-valved shocks they should damp "smoother" than one stiff
shock.  In particular, having two shocks will come in handy at the extremes
of the suspension when you need MAX damping..

>I've heard that the Edlebrock self-adjusting shocks make for a great
>ride.  One of the shiney 4x4 mags had a big article on them for their
>Jeep TJ Project vehicle.  I think that they are cheaper.

I'd heard they were even more spendy than the 9000s...

>Also, Gold box wise...it is my understanding is that if your engine is
>off and you leave your key in the ignition turned clockwise so that
>this can over heat it. Further, that the MSD add-ons are susceptible

This is my understanding as well, but I didn't know about the MSD...

Luckily the '72 has a points distributor still..

>to the exact same problem. Lastly, that if you want to run accessories
>with the engine off just turn the key counter-clockwise and then the
>accessories will get power, but the distributor will not.   Do I have
>this right?

That's why they put an ACC (counter-clockwise) position on there.. :-)

Too bad it doesn't work on my '77.. the tumbler retaining "key" is gone, so
my ignition key thingy falls out when I go wheelin'.. and the ACC position
is unusable.

-Tom