Sugar anyone?

OK.. I took a peek inside the gas cap on my '72 this morning..

There appears to be "streaks" of something running down the inside of the
filler neck.  It reminds of sugar glaze from a cinnamon roll.. or mud.  :-(

There are a couple little "chunks" that I can see..

Now, it *could* be mud or otherwise, since It hasn't received fresh gas in 9
months...  or it could be sugar. :-(

I'm tempted to take a scraping over to my favority highschool Chem teacher
and have the students analyze it for me..

Any suggestions?  What does Sugar in the 'tank look like? ;)

Any way of getting it OUT if it IS?  I dont' know how much gas is in it
(batt dead), but..

I'm thinking I could go buy an electric fuel pump, run it off my 12VDC power
supply, and drain the tank through the carb fuel inlet lines?  Can I do that
with the mechanical pump in place, or do I need to do this before the mech.
pump?

Would I then want to "flush" the tank some more?

And, BTW, what "happens" when sugar'd gas hits a motor.. I've been told it
seizes, but.. how about why?

*sigh*

Thanks everyone!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT - on my way to court in 1/2 hour...