General maintainance assistance, please

Hi all,

I just got my first scout, and I'm so happy.  It is a '77 traveler, but
it has some problems.

Under the hood, there is this really strange squeeking sound.  I put
some fan belt lube on, but that didn't help.  It is coming from the
front, on the passenger side.  Right in that corner.  A/C bearings?  The
brakes are a little tricky.  You have to really lay into them.  Almost
like they are manual, not power, but the vaccuum drum is there.  The
heater works, sometimes.  It starts out strong, but then fades off until
it stops with this weird charcoal smell.  The back gate is a pain in the
ass to lock, the passengers door takes a good slam to close, the door
handle on the inside drivers side door is loose, along with the crank
for the window.  Other than that, she's a real nice rig.

Does anyone have any quick fixes, tips, help, or anything for these
problems?

Good to be in the club,

Nick
'77 traveler, 345, 727 3-speed, dual exhaust, glass packs, the works