Re: Driveline Phasing

The black helicopters hovering over the house recorded n9ads@domain.elided
(Howard R Pletcher) whispering:

>If the flanges on the transmission and axle are parallel to each other
>(but offset), the flanges must be held parallel within 1 degree  to
>minimize vibration.  However, it this results in a U-joint angle greater
>than 12 degrees, then the axle should be tilted upward so that the
>centerline of the transmission intersects the centerline of the pinion
>1/2 way between the two, which still results in equal angles at each end.
> This may be of concern to those doing spring overs.

Could someone please elaborate on this?

My "visual" brain can't quite visualize this.  Do they mean an intersection
like this?  (This of course *must* be viewed with a fixed pitch font.)  As
I understand this, they mean the legs of the intersecting angles are
supposed to be equal in length.  So if you *didn't* want to use a CV joint,
you'd turn the axle so the pinon points markedly upwards to form the equal
angles.  This would of course result in needing to turn the axle ends to
correct caster.

          intersection of angles
                               __________TRANSFER
                              /          CASE
                             /
                            /
                           /
                       PINION

Thanks,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)