Shackle update

A few posts on the BinderBulletin confirmed what the Skyjacker technician
told me when I called.. the front shackle is NOT supposed to be that far
back, and that I *should* have lowered the truck onto the tires first,
then tightened the bolts (okay, so I was in a hurry).. the shackle just
needs a little "convincing" that it wants to go forward.

Got home, went around to the big tree in the backyard, and ran my strap
around it, a chain around the two springs (just below the shackle), and
put my Hi-Lift in the middle (best $50 ever!).  Loosened the shackle
bolts, cranked on the Hi-Lift, and my shackles now stand straight up and
down.

Re-torque to 30lb-ft per the instructions, and I was driving back around
to the front of the house, taking the alley way (which, BTW, I now hit a
LOT more trees with my CB antenna..).

Ride is MUCH MUCH improved.  I still bounce and jounce a bit, but I can
attribute that to the new springs and such.. before I'd hit a manhole
cover and it was like washboards for 50 feet or more..

The Skyjacker tech also said to just tighten the shackle bolts so the
shackle makes contact with the bushing, and not much farther..

I just hit 'em to 30lb-ft.. that could be causing some of the stiff
ride.. anyone care to comment?

Now that *that* is fixed I can tackle the muffler that is 1) shot and 2)
rubbing my driveshaft (got a new glasspack in the back seat.. wonder how
that 4cyl will sound?)

Also.. is it possible to buy just a grease cap for my drag link?  Mine is
chewed up from my test drive and trip to work.. I'm planning on ordering
a heavy duty replacement from Gryphin, but not necessarily tomorrow.. :-)

Oh.. and it looks like I'll have my '72 back tomorrow.. rather than me
asking the Judge on Thursday (scheduling conf.), the body man
"volunteered" to do me a "favor" and give the truck back.. but I won't
have it.  I'll have it towed to a local general mechanic shop for an
inspection.. any suggestions on what type of malicious acts could be
done?  Cut brake lines, loose body mounts, or steering box, or metal in
the gas tank, or sand in the spark plugs or... *sigh*  I hope it's not a
throw-away...

Hmm.. gotta make some room out front to park it!  (roofers left LOTS of
nails in the back yard still...)

Thanks!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 Scout II - P.O.W. comes "home" tomorrow??? Yippee!  *sniff*
'77 Scout II - 196,3spd,4.09s,31s,air,tracklok, and a 4" Softride!!!