Rhino Candles

KMITCHELL <KMITCHELL@domain.elided> wrote:

>I'll have to get the post from home but a recent discussion on the
>Suzuki 4x4 list warned about the dangers of using Rhino Liner on the
>interior of a vehicle.  The information was from the father of a
>subscriber, who is a chemist.

>He said that Rhino Liner should not be used inside a vehicle as it is
>highly flammable.  To test this they took a sample from Rhino Liner,
>placed it vertically and held a match to it.  From the sound of it, it
>lit up pretty quickly and quite thoroughly.  The chemist said this was
>because it was made from polyurethane and the fact that it is a foam
>based spray, so it has plenty of air pockets to aid any fire.

Interesting point.  Well, I just performed the same experiment on some
of my samples.  And, it is about as flammable as styrofoam: it burns
if hot enough.  A small candle flame was able to provide sufficient
heat to do this, but it took a while and the pieces went out a few
times.  However, if there was enough of this stuff, and it did catch
fire, it could easily turn my Scout into a big candle.

I don't know about whether or not it can supply much of its own O2.  I'd
be interested in seeing that chemist's report if you can find it.

I think that I will have to take a second thought at putting a lot
of anything flammable into into an older vehicle with relatively poor
wiring (I still have memories of driving down Woodward in Detroit in
my old Beetle and noticing 9" flames dancing in the back seat).

Anyone have thoughts about the flammability of lava liner, line-x,
durabak, etc?

Also - back to that removability thread...how about the removability
of those above alternatives?  On the body work that I'm about to get
into I think that there's a descent chance that I'll miss something
and it will come back in four years.

Thanks,

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II