Re: Heavy-duty towing questions

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998 12:45 -0700 (MST) Ken Farmer <Ken.Farmer@domain.elided>
writes:
>A friend of mine is interested in getting an IH to pull his 6500-lb
>boat with.  He is currently using a new Chevy Tahoe, but wants to escape
>the payments.  He asked me if a Traveler could pull it well and I
>automatically said, "of course!".  But then, I thought that perhaps
>I was being too biased here (since I've never pulled anything heavy).
>
>So anyway, how would a non-rebuilt Traveler with a 345, 3.73 axles,
>and a 727 handle this 6500 lb (and 27-foot long) boat?  Further, how
>would you compare this to a '75 Travelall with a 392, 3.73 axles, and
>a 727?

I've got a friend that pulled a 9,000 lb boat with his 100" Scout, V-345,
727, with 3.31 gears for 4 years until he finally sold the boat.  He says
he did have to rebuild the transmission at 120,000 miles which he
attributes to not using low range to pull the boat up the launch ramp all
the time. I'm not sure I'd want to do this, but it shows the Scout can
handle it.  Use an equalizer hitch of ample capacity and make sure the
trailer brakes are the best possible, because they are what is going to
stop this train if you get in an emergency situation.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]