What's The Best Way? <345 R&R Questions>

Greetings All!

It's been some time since I've posted to the journal, but I've been reading
most and archiving all!

Well, after months of procrastination and nth degree "what if's", I said "the
heck with it" and have started tear down of my '72 T'all 345.

Those faithful to the digest (and blessed with a good memory!) might recall
that the engine in this beast is seized after sitting around in a field for a
couple years w/o a carb on it.  I tried bathing the cylinders in Marvel
Mystery Oil, Kroil, etc.  Yarning on crankshaft bolt with about a 30" breaker
bar or so, didn't even think about budging it.  I was more afraid of busting
the bolt (or is that a nut?!), which would really put me in a world of hurt! I
figured even if I DID break it loose, I was afraid I'd bust the rings off -
which would force me to be where I am now anyhow, eh?!

Earlier today. I removed the radiator, fan, alternator & air compressor (in
one assembly - I presumed the fewer bolts I have to take out, whenever
possible, the better!?!).

* Are there any special things I need to bear in mind before / as I prepare
(and) pull the motor?  I'm especially concerned about separating the motor
from the tranny.  Anything unique about IH that I'll need to know?  Tools I
have at my disposal include: jack stands, floor jack (an honest 2 ton), engine
stand, and, at the critical moment - a "cherry picker" (not sure if that's an
A-Frame / "swingset" type deal, or more of a hoist arrangement -- either way,
I guess it'll do the job, eh?).

* Never having rebuilt an engine before, what things should I look at or NOT
worry about?  I don't want to re-build anything that doesn't need to be, but
"if it'd be a good idea", then I might as well. What are the "might as well"
items?!  I imagine freeze-plugs ;-)  -- what else?!  And in particular, what
is likely to be the cause of the seizure (pardon me if these are all ignorant
questions and become all too evident after teardown!).

* I don't yet have a manual (from Binderbooks) for it - though I plan on
buying one shortly.  Are they truly worth the $90+? Is it the most detailed
documentation I can find for the truck (better than, say a Chilton's, I'd
presume!)?

* Anyone have any handy tips for ID-ing small parts, wires, etc.?  The
hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, etc.) I put in ziplock bags and label where
they came from.

That'll do it for now... thanks for your war stories, hints & kinks and time!

Happy Motoring!

--Pete

Peter F. Ferris
pferris@domain.elided

"The box said Windows 95 or better,...So I bought a Mac."