Re: CTIS

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Tom Mandera wrote:

> Can we get an air-tight seal like that?

I'm no engineer, but it seems like it'd be pretty tough to make it
either very airtight or very durable, because of the large size.

A friend told me a while back that he'd seen an ad in a car magazine
from Timken, the bearing folks, a "coming soon" type of thing about
wheel bearings they were working on with air passages through the races
for CTIS.  But he never heard any more about it.  I think it would've
been at least 1.5 - 2 years ago that he saw the ad.  Seems like that
would be a better way to go, especially considering the sealing issue.

I just searched Timken's website, and there's one page that mentions
"central tire inflation bearings in off-highway and military vehicles."
Maybe I'll email them, or call a local Timken dealer, and see what I can
find out.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783