Re: Winches,trannies, etc.

<<Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:34:56 -0800
From: "Jason and Maria Colavecchia" <jasoncolavecchia@domain.elided>
Subject: Winches,trannies, etc.

My 69 travelall has the T-418 4 speed.  It is a really wide ratio box!  The
first gear is anywhere between 6 and 7:1...It also appears to be
non-synchronized, as it is difficult to downshift from second to first.
First is almost unnecessary for normal driving on pavement without anything
in the back...the synchros seem to work for second, third and fourth...

Does anyone know if this 4 speed is the Borg-Warner or the New process?  I
am confused a bit after someone posted about different makes being used
back then....If anyone has more info on this transmission (like, you got it
in YOURS) please email me privately so as to not clutter up the digest with
needless repetition of facts everyone else seems to know already..>>

<snip>

     Jason,

         The transmission you have (13418, or T-418) is a Borg-Warner model
T-18. This is basically the same transmission as the Borg-Warner model T-18C (
IH 13045, or T-45). The difference is in the gear ratio's. The Borg-Warner
T-18 does not use a synchronizer for first gear.

Eldon McFarling
Ceresco, NE
'80 Scout II Turbo Diesel
Eldon_McF@domain.elided