Re: Tom's T19

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Tom Mandera wrote:

> My T19 is a close box (at least, that's what Dan Younquist said he'd
> sold me.. maybe it'll be a wide??).. But, it's not installed yet.

It's definitely a close..  Should be in great shape, too, having lived
its whole life behind a 196.  Worked great when I yanked it, anyway.

> I did play some more with "power shifting" (I hate calling it that.. I
> *did* take it easy.. somehow "Power shifting" implies just shoving it
> into gear)  on the 3spd T15 that's currently in the '77 last night..
> not bad.  I'm pretty good so long as I'm driving easy.. but how often
> do I do *that*?? :-)

Are we talking about slipping it into gear without using the clutch?
I've always figured that would wear out the synchros a lot faster,
because it makes them work against the turning inertia of the whole
engine instead of just a few transmission & clutch parts.

I'm not sure, but I think "power shifting" actually refers to holding
the gas pedal to the floor and slam shifting as fast as possible, using
the clutch.  I used to know a guy who'd done some drag racing and he
said you could cut your times down quite a bit this way.  The imrovement
is from all the extra inertia the engine has, compared to letting up on
the gas to shift, and eliminating the lag time bringing the carb back to
wide open throttle.  Never saw a need to try it when I had my Mustang
GT, though, as it would really smoke Z28's & TransAms anyway. :)  I'm
sure it doesn't exactly do wonders for clutch, transmission, or u-joint
life.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783