Re: exhaust monitor

First of all, thanks to all who replied to my post on my old ’59 BC-150.  Got some real neat info.
Secondly, sorry about how my postings look (this one my be ok since I am trying a very labor intensive
alternative).  It seems that Cserve members have real problems with crappy
e’mail capabilities.  If anyone on Cserve has found a good solution, let me know.

Now to the point.  John , this was an excellent post.  I have tried a similar device and sure liked the
capability since you can check/tune for all kinds of situations and all of the carb circuits.

There is a very neat web site on this very subject (attaching part of the message):

Hey everyone, please visit my site to look at installing an oxygen
sensor in your car's exhaust pipe.  It's easy, and it can be done
cheaply.  If you put the sensor close enough to the engine, you only
need the cheaper single wire sensor, because, if the sensor gets cold,
it doesn't really affect anything other than the meter.  You're only
using it as a guide to see if you're rich or lean, not to control an EFI
system.

I also offer free help in tuning your carb.  The page is one long one,
to make it easy to save to your hard drive and print out later.  I've
made a duplicate on my new service.  It's at:

http://home.inreach.com/geewhiz/carb.htm

Specific to this discussion, the following (discussing an O2 sensor) is from his web site:

Once you have the sensor installed and wiring run up to the inside of
the car, attach a digital voltmeter (you really should have one of your
own, but you can sometimes borrow these from friends if you don't have
one) to the sensor and a good body ground. The sensor is positive. The
readings you'll get once the sensor has heated up will be from 1.1 volts
(1100 millivolts, or mv) down to about 100 mv. The high readings are
rich, the low readings are lean. The perfect mixture for cruise is 400
mv. I have found my car to run well at about 700-800 mv. Once it gets
below that, it tends to get into a lean misfire. Your results may vary.

You really need to visit his site if you are going to play with carb tuning

Jim Shepherd

’59 BC-100
’86 S1900 made into a motorhome (in process)