Backfiring, Starters and locking lugs...

Chris and Ranae,

     I hate to suggest this, but are the plug wires all in the
correct configuration?  Also, check the vacuum.  My old GFs
Toyota used to do this.  It was a 1600 and had a Gnarly vacuum
leak at the carb base.  It'd run a wicked lean mixture and blow
all kinds of fire and brimstone too!  You might want to check for
carbon coking in all the parts too, if the truck sat for more
than a year or so.  Starting a sitting truck often leaves carbon
deposits everywhere.  A sticky valve may also be the culprit but
if the compression is OK then that's not it UNLESS:  If a bent
valve or guide was installed, then as it heats it will deform
unevenly and bind more when warm, thus it may stick after some
run time, rather than startup.

     Hope it clears up,

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not
               forgotten.